Friday, May 7, 2010

Gold Cup

Everyone is talking about rum now, and being the slave to trends that
I am, here is a nice tiki drink from the Hukilau Room of the Captains
Inn in Long Beach circa 1962.
Here is a picture of their menu online.

http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item_id=157

I haven't quiet perfected my ice shell skills but here it is.

¾ oz fresh lime juice
¾ oz sugar syrup
½ oz maraschino liqueur
1 ½ oz gold Jamaican rum
1 tsp Pernod
3 drops almond extract

Shake well with ice cubes and strain into a saucer champagne glass.
This was originally served with an "ice shell" forming a hood over
the glass.

It's a little sweet like most tiki drinks I've had, but the
combination of flavors keep it interesting. I'm going to continue to
make some tiki drinks so I can work on my garnishing and ice forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment