Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Soak it in Cider"

Every fall I crave apple cider. Not any old cider, but fresh pressed,
no preservatives, no pasteurization, no nothing but apples. I've only
found the real deal a few times in my life. The family and I went on
the hunt today and found it.
On the advice of some friends we drove to Oak Glen up in the hills
before you get to Palm Springs. We tried a few places on the way up
the hill but found a place that let you press your own. I thought it
was just a tourist gimmick but when you do it your self you know
exactly what goes into your cider.
I drank my fill today and have plans for the cider that made it home.
I'm going to let it sit out for a couple months and see if the yeasts
present will make it turn into hard cider.
I did make some apple cider syrup, by reducing it down, then played
around this evening and came up with this!

1 1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz Dolin Blanc vermouth
1/2 oz apple cider
1/2 oz apple cider syrup
1 barspoon allspice dram
Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with
a slice of apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment